LYNCHBURG, Va. – 5 Duke pitchers mixed to enable just 5 hits in a shutout acquire as the Blue Devils topped Liberty 7- on Tuesday night time at the Liberty Baseball Stadium in Lynchburg, Va.
Following a scoreless match as a result of five innings, junior RJ Schreck broke open up the scoring in the sixth inning with a a few-operate dwelling run.
Offensively, 6 distinctive Blue Devils recorded a hit in the course of the contest, highlighted by Schreck’s 2-for-4 outing with 3 RBIs.
Producing his fourth start off of the year, freshman southpaw Luke Fox threw 3 shutout innings when enabling just two hits. A native of Waukesha, Wis., Fox struck out three whilst on the mound.
Duke (17-16) and Liberty (25-9) each threatened in the early innings as the Blue Devils loaded the bases with two outs in the 3rd inning right before the Flames did the exact in the fourth. Both groups escaped the jams with strikeouts to close the innings.
The Blue Devils got on the board in the sixth as senior Joey Loperfido and junior Ethan Murray reached base with no outs to put runners on to start with and next. Schreck fouled off 4 pitches with two strikes just before hitting a three-run blast above the remaining industry wall in the 10-pitch at-bat.
Duke scored 4 in the eighth inning as selective Duke hitting at the plate gained 4 consecutive walks prior to a sacrifice fly by senior Michael Rothenberg, an mistake and a wild pitch scored the last a few runs of the inning.
The Duke pitching staff members put together to hold Liberty to 5 hits during the activity, together with just one particular strike just after the fifth inning.
Seniors Josh Nifong and Matt Dockman designed appearances in reduction as portion of Duke’s comprehensive-staff tactic on the mound. Nifong, a native of Substantial Issue, N.C., gave up two hits and 3 walks in two scoreless innings. He struck out 3 in his time on the hill to generate his next acquire of the time. Dockman, a southpaw out of Hilliard, Ohio, put in two hitless innings of perform though placing out 4.
Freshman Nick Conte and sophomore Jimmy Loper shut for the Blue Devils, pitching the eighth and ninth innings, respectively. Conte struck out two in his hitless inning even though Loper authorized a strike right before receiving a double play to seal the game.
Duke is again in the condition of Virginia for the weekend as the Blue Devils travel to Charlottesville for an ACC collection at Virginia.
- All four of Duke’s runs in the eighth inning were being scored without having a hit.
- Duke became the initial workforce to acquire at Liberty this time as the Flames entered the contest a best 14- at house.
- The blended pitching energy was just the 2nd time the Blue Devils shut out an opponent this time, with the past currently being a 2- get at Notre Dame.
- Schreck’s property operate in the sixth inning traveled 360 ft. It was Schreck’s seventh residence operate of the season to tie graduate student Peter Matt to guide the team.
- Dockman tallied four strikeouts in his two innings of perform, tying his most in an look this period.
- Loperfido achieved foundation for the 25th consecutive sport, thanks to a wander in the third inning.
- Loperfido singled in the sixth inning to extend his hitting streak to 12 games, the longest of any Blue Satan this season.