JACKSONVILLE, Ala. – Jacksonville State’s Kiana Johnson scored a sport-large 21 points such as a driving layup as the last buzzer sounded, propelling the host Gamecocks over Liberty, 59-57, in an ASUN Women’s Basketball Championship semifinal, Wednesday at Pete Mathews Coliseum.
Liberty (27-4) hardly ever led but had just tied the sport at 57-all on Kennedi Williams’ layup with 3.3 seconds to play. The Lady Flames, who failed to attain the title activity for the very first time in four seasons as an ASUN Conference member, will await phrase on a achievable postseason event bid Sunday night.
ASUN West Division champion Jacksonville Condition (24-6) racked up 38 factors in the paint even though improving to 15-1 at household this season and avenging a 62-57 loss at Liberty on Jan. 29. The Gamecocks will vacation to FGCU on Saturday for their very first ASUN Championship title activity physical appearance considering the fact that 1999.
Box Score Highlights
Liberty People: Mya Berkman – 15 factors, 9 rebounds Dee Brown – 11 factors, 7 rebounds Kennedi Williams – 10 details, 3 assists Bridgette Rettstatt – 7 points, 11 rebounds.
Jacksonville State Folks: Johnson – 21 points, 9-10 FG Kennedy Gavin – 17 points Shawnta Shaw – 13 points, 6 rebounds.
Key Staff Stats: JSU shot 48.1 p.c (26-of-54) from the field, as opposed with 39.6 % (21-of-53) for Liberty. Both teams struggled from a few-level assortment, with Liberty shooting 1-of-12 and Jacksonville State finishing -of-5. Liberty outrebounded the Gamecocks 40-27, turning 16 offensive boards into 12 next-probability factors. The two groups scored 38 details in the paint apiece, with JSU proudly owning a 17-12 advantage in bench points.
The recreation was not resolved right up until the final perform. Soon after inbounding the ball on the considerably sideline, Johnson rapidly obtained it back again and drove to the basket, unloading the match-profitable financial institution shot from close range just before the remaining clock achieved ..
Very first Quarter
• Jacksonville Point out made 5 of its initial 6 industry objective tries to commence the activity, together with four by Kiana Johnson, though Liberty skipped its initial 6 tries from the ground. As a end result, the Gamecocks raced out to a 12-3 direct within just the 1st 5:13 of play.
• Liberty held JSU devoid of a created discipline target for the remainder of the period, pulling to inside of 13-9 even with capturing just 18.8 p.c (3-of-16) during the 1st 10 minutes.
• The Woman Flames battled to inside of a single issue (21-20) when Jordan Bailey knocked down the to start with triple by both staff, 1:49 right before halftime.
• But the Gamecocks scored the half’s remaining 4 points to acquire a 25-20 halftime lead. JSU scored 18 factors in the paint prior to the intermission when keeping Liberty to its least expensive-scoring initially half of the season.
• Liberty outrebounded JSU 14-8 in the course of the third period and was capable to tie the score at 30-all on a pair of Dee Brown cost-free throws with 4:48 to enjoy.
• Shawnta Shaw tallied eight 3rd-quarter details for the household team, which went again in entrance 40-37 heading to the fourth.
• Liberty shot 77.8 percent (7-of-9) from the industry during the remaining period, which includes a 3-of-3 energy by Williams. The point guard twice tied the score with layups in the remaining minute (53-53 and 57-57) but the Woman Flames could not get more than the hump.
Notes and Nuggets
• Berkman’s 23rd double-digit scoring hard work of the period put her over 900 points for her vocation.
• Brown’s 11 details manufactured her Liberty’s top scorer for the tournament with 27 tallies in two online games.
• Williams’ 3 assists give her 118 for the time, the most by a Lady Flame because 2014-15, when Sadalia Ellis completed with 135 helpers.
• Rettstatt concluded with 10 or additional rebounds for the fourth sport in a row.
• Wednesday marked Liberty’s initially-at any time stop by to Pete Mathews Coliseum, and the Woman Flames fell to 10-2 on the street this period.
• This is just the fourth time in the last 26 seasons that Liberty has not achieved its convention tournament’s title game.
• JSU’s 48.1 % area target capturing was the maximum share Liberty has permitted this year.